Brian Joiner, a follower of W.E Deming gave this quote in his book "4th Generation Management".
He suggested what is now known as the Joiner Triangle, as a model for good management. This shows there are three critical elements to Managing for Quality.
These three elements work well with the 14 Management Points introduced by W.E Deming in his book "Out of the Crisis" The 14 points are shown here under the 3 categories suggested by Brian Joiner.
Taguchi, in his work on "Taguchi Methods" explained the idea of a "Loss Function"; losses increases as produced values move away from a desired value. Thus, if a customer requires a product to be delivered in three days, in normal circumstances two or four days is not acceptable. From this he defined World Class Quality as being "on target with minumum variation". This thinking is developed in the following 14 Points for Management by W.E Deming.
1. Create constancy of purpose toward improvement of product and service, with the aim to become competitive and to stay in business, and to provide jobs.
3. Cease dependence on inspection to achieve quality. Eliminate the need for inspection on a mass basis by building quality into the product in the first place.
10. Eliminate slogans, exhortations, and targets for the work force asking for zero defects and new levels of productivity. Such exhortations only create adversarial relationships, as the bulk of the causes of low quality and low productivity belong to the system and thus lie beyond the power of the work force.
Eliminate work standards (quotas) on the factory floor. Substitute leadership.
Eliminate management by objective.
Eliminate management by numbers, numerical goals. Substitute leadership.
2. Adopt the new philosophy. We are in a new economic age. Western management must awaken to the challenge, must learn their responsibilities, and take on leadership for change.
4. End the practice of awarding business on the basis of price tag. Instead, minimize total cost. Move toward a single supplier for any one item, on a long-term relationship of loyalty and trust.
5. Improve constantly and forever the system of production and service, to improve quality and productivity, and thus constantly decrease costs
7. Institute leadership. The aim of supervision should be to help people and machines and gadgets to do a better job. Supervision of management is in need of overhaul, as well as supervision of production workers.
12. Remove barriers that rob people in management and in engineering of their right to pride of workmanship. This means, inter alia, abolishment of the annual or merit rating and of management by objective
Teams (All One Team)
6. Institute training on the job.
8.Drive out fear, so that everyone may work effectively for the company
9. Break down barriers between departments. People in research, design, sales, and production must work as a team, to foresee problems of production and in use that may be encountered with the product or service.
11. Remove barriers that rob the hourly worker of his right to pride of workmanship. The responsibility of supervisors must be changed from sheer numbers to quality.
13. Institute a vigorous program of education and self-improvement.
14. Put everybody in the company to work to accomplish the transformation. The transformation is everybody's job.
Overview: BetterChange (Wales) Ltd is the result of seeing two worlds which need to work together to be powerful. We bring together Accounting skills and Operational Excellence knowledge. By bringing the two together we believe we offer a hugh resource to business who wish to provide quality and improve their processes. Our moto; Business Excellence is obtainable!
Workshops and Training (In House and Pulbic)
On site improvement activities in any area of sector (Kaizen events)
Business Efficiency advce